Friday, February 10, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Entry

Remember that caramel almond rubble I made last week out of David Lebovitz's Ches Panisse? Well it is still in my frig. Calling to me, whispering my name late late at night. What shall I do with it?? It seemed dry when chilled, do you think it could survive as a crust? Or a crumb topping - oh yea! That's it.
   To celebrate my half work day Friday (YAHOO!) I am taking that time to make Pumpkin Pie 2 ways.  Which is better - the crumble as:
                        1.  Crust      * or *
                        2.  Topping
   Those of you out there who 'know' food & have read the recipe for the almond tart filling will instantly scream that I couldn't possibly make a crust from a caramel tart filling.  Just not possible, I know - I hear you. And I agree, in theory.  But look at that rubble - it looks just like graham crackers!! Doing crazy things in the kitchen is how penicillin was discovered, right! Sorta.  You get the point.
   And the result - eh...not so much to look at, but yummy!  It did melt on the bottom.  So it's out for a competition pie that is judged on beauty & cut-ability. Ok, I can deal with that. At least we tried!
   Onto using it as a crumble topping - now we may have something here!! I poured the basic pumpkin pie filling in a ramekin and cooked it 2/3rd's of the way.  Once it is firm enough to hold up the topping without letting it sink through filling.   Now this - this is a winner. 

  Look at that! - We may have found entry #1 - Caramel Almond Rubble Pumpkin Pie.

You may have noticed I didn't go into great detail about the pumpkin filling. That's because it is a basic pumpkin pie filling of 'Libby, Libby, Libby's on the label, label, label' canned pumpkin with pie spice, milk, sugar & cream.  Nothing fancy.  Pardon the Libby's commercial melody, it's the way my mother always says it, and I can't help myself.

Happy Baking - Rachel

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a "Rubble" pumpkin pie! That looks delicious. Good luck developing all of your entries--can't wait to see what you make next!

    Alicia @ The Humble Foodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The caramel rubble looks delectable! I love that you used it for pie crust - very creative!

    ReplyDelete